reach me

  • Instagram - @emmahager
  • Twitter
  • madamecouture@gmail.com

Comme des Garçons Fall 2010

  

 I must say, I think that it is too soon to be writing my Comme review. Some of the rare things in life (that are amazing) need some time to settle in, to process. I just don't know how those fashion critics pump out those amazing reviews so quickly. I will put my thoughts together best I can and try to express every feeling that I have felt from this collection. As some people think, fashion is just about pretty clothes, but that could not be more wrong. It is about the emotions and feelings one gets from the clothes. Good fashion is truly when you have that "ah-ha" moment, the moment of pure ecstasy when nothing else crosses your mind. This collection gave me that feeling that is so refreshing.
   First, one thing, this collection is a re-do of that noturious Lumps and Bumps collection of Spring 1997. I loved that collection. Even though many people thought it was "unwearable" or "ugly." I those people think  fashion is just about clothes, that it has to be somewhat practical, and most of all wearable. Where does the creativity go, then? Would our world just be these fad drenched clones? Anyway, back to the collection. I just wanted to share with you a comment that I left on Cathy Horyn's blog, right after I saw the collection. Please note the long stream of thoughts that barely make sense:
I really enjoyed the Comme collection. I think that in a way, by bringing back this collection, she was saying: This is a really important concept, we need to embrace these bodies of ours, we need to think of them in a different way. And, no, this has nothing to do with that whole models-are-tooo-thin thing. When showed this collection for the first time (I think this was a very updated collection, but just trying to make a point that she has given us the same message) it was all the rage and many people felt it was pointless and ugly. I was only a year old but I watched something about Kawakubo in Japanese, on Youtube, and I only knew what they were talking about when Suzy Menkes was on. So, I think as fashion has progressed and more people have been able to experience the world of Japanese avant-garde (through the internet, etc), I think that more people are open to this collection. Also, over the past couple of years we have seen a lot of designers experimenting. But, it is always refreshing and a kind-of "Yes, we're home" feeling when they go back to what they do best. I mean, look at all the success and raves that Marc Jacobs has had with his fall 2010 collection. He said that if he changed three things on every look then it would be new again. That is so true. So, for these designers, they are going back to what the consumers know them for. They are going back to what the people want, or going back to what they felt was a strong collection.


I am very happy that Kawakubo went back to that collection. It is an important message to give off. You don't need to be that sexy Balmain or Pucci girl: Clothes should be portray a story, they should question our common thoughts on what is ugly and what is pretty and reverse our opinions toward different shapes and fabrics.


Very well done and thank you for bringing this up, Ms. Horyn. I'm going read the Styles section, right now!


Best,


Emma
 
   I really feel that this collection meant something important to Ms.Kawakubo. She felt it was a message that she wanted to reiterate. She wanted to open the eyes of the arrogant people. The message is to look and your body through your clothes not as curvy but by realizing all of the magic that goes into making our bodies work each day. If ever there was a collection that really showed off the bodies it would be this one. Amazing, cotton intestines? Yes please! And, like I stated in my comment, all the designers are going back to what is really them and what is important to them.
   Moving on to fabrics. They seemed nice and simple: cottons, and foam-y fabrics for the genius padding. The first couple of looks were padded twists one the classic trench. The first look consisted of a slim, calf-length pant and a padded trench, emphasizing the hips,or something to that effect.
   My favortie looks were the plaid looks at the end. They reminded me of little Scottish boys, that stuck pillows in their shirts so they could could slide down a hill. I loved the boxer-like boy shorts that swamped the models. They did not come off as pretty, or genius or avant-garde but once the ideas of these little, playful boys came into my head, I fell in love. We also saw the return of minimalism, not only this season, but in the knee-length plaid shorts (that look like skirts.) A perfect balance to the powerful tops. Another one of my favorite looks was a simple, fairly toned down (in terms of "puff") dress that was modest and smart. Just a great Comme dress that I am sure many people will have on their bodies, come this fall.
  Thanks for bearing with me as I put some of my thoughts togethern on this collection. I can tell you, nothing short of amazing. Everything was wonderful...and, yes! I actually did not find anything that I wish would be improved. I think that this collection had some elements that made the name of the label fit in wonderfully: Comme des Garçons or Like Boys (goes back to my little Scottish thing, no?).
    -- Photos via Style.Com
 
Further into thought...
 * A documentary about CdG and Kawakubo (that I cannot understand unless Suzy Menkes is speaking), this is the part about the Lumps and Bumps collection:



Oh, and one more thing, Rei Kawakubo described this collection as "inside decoration."
Two words that are the perfect description for this collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment